The auspicious festival of Navaratri is upon us, and we're sure your celebrations are already in full swing. It is a time to welcome the goddess Durga into our home and worship her nine avatars to bring prosperity and good luck. Everyone fast for a whole day and performs special puja in the evening to honour the goddess. We know that it has become a custom for all of us to clean and decorate our homes to get them ready for Navratri.
Essentials to decorate your home and pooja room for Navratri
There are many different ways that people decorate their homes for Navratri. Some typical decorations include setting up altars or pooja places with idols of the goddess Durga. This is perhaps the most essential decoration for Navratri. An altar is a sacred space where you can offer puja to the goddess. It can be as simple as setting up a shelf or table since you can buy the brass sculpture of goddesses Durga, Amba and Sherwali in multiple sizes at great prices. So you can choose one from Punam Metalcrafts sculpture collections to fit your space and create a more elaborate setup with flowers, incense, and candles.
However, that's not all you can do to ensure it is shining during this celebration. You can also hang garlands and lights and place unique Tulsi plants in pots or decorative items around the house. So, if you are looking to add some festive flair to your home this Navratri, here are some essential decor items that you will need:
- Garlands and strings of lights: Brighten your space with garlands and strings of lights. Drape them around doorways and windows, or even use them to create a makeshift canopy over your dining table.
- Flowers: Nothing says Navratri like colourful flowers. Add some to your garlands or display them in vases around your home.
- Rangolis: Welcome guests into your home with a beautiful rangoli design. You can create one yourself or purchase ready-made ones from your local grocery store or online.
- Statues of the goddess Durga: Place statues or pictures of the goddess Durga around your home to invoke her blessings during this particular time.
- Incense and candles: Add a calming and encouraging ambience to your home with incense sticks and candles. Light them in the evening when you do your puja rituals, or anytime you want to relax and enjoy their peaceful scent.
Alternatives to the traditional Navratri decorations
There are many ways you can decorate your home for Navratri, apart from a few essential items you will need. If you're looking for alternatives to the traditional pooja room, there are plenty of options out there. From colourful metal wall art and sculptures to traditional lamps and pooja items like Diya, we've got everything you need to prepare your home for the celebrations. With these essentials in place, you will be ready to celebrate Navratri in style. Check out our list of essential home decor items to help complete your Navratri celebration!
- Hang wall art in your living room or bedroom. This is a great option if you don't have a lot of space or if you want to add the same vibe of celebrations throughout the home.
- Set up a temporary pooja room in your backyard or on your balcony to host kirtan nights, which is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and make use of natural light.
- If you're short on space, consider setting up a metal sculpture or planter on a table or shelf. This can be easily moved out of the way when it's not in use.
- Get creative with your decor! There's no need to stick to traditional items, colours and designs. Have fun with it, and let your personality shine through.
- Don't forget the essentials: Apart from the essentials mentioned above, you also need a few pooja items for performing rituals, like metal Diyas, Karwas and Agardan. With these items, you can create a beautiful and sacred space no matter where you choose to set up your pooja room.
Navratri is a celebration of the victory of good over evil and taking out all the negativity from their lives by cleansing and decorating their homes to welcome the goddess into their lives. From traditional pooja accessories and Diyas to beautiful pooja thalis, bells and goddess idols, we've got everything you need to prepare your home for Navratri. So what are you waiting for? Get started on your Navratri decorating today!